Who Should Get Genetic Testing?
Genetic testing can be beneficial in understanding your risk of inheriting cancer; however, not everyone is an ideal candidate. Approximately 5-10% of cancers are caused by an inherited cancer syndrome. Features of your personal or family medical history that may suggest a hereditary cancer syndrome include:
- Known gene mutation in the family
- Cancer that was diagnosed at an unusually young age (under age 50)
- Cancer that has developed in both organs in a set of paired organs, such as both kidneys or both breasts
- Unusual cases of a specific cancer type like breast cancer in a man or several different types of cancer that have occurred independently in the same person
- Multiple relatives (3 or more) with breast cancer, ovarian cancer, pancreatic cancer and/or aggressive prostate cancer
- Ovarian cancer at any age
- More than 20 polyps in the colon
- Ethnic predisposition, specifically Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry
If you or a family member on either side of your family has had any of the above mentioned, please take our online questionnaire and consult with your VOA healthcare team.